You don’t need to keep putting up with drafty windows that let all of your expensive heating escape! Learn how replacing a window in a brick wall is done and what the advantages of getting a professional to do it over doing it for yourself. For expert brick and masonry work, Royal Masonry are the stone masons to contact in the Kitchener-Waterloo region.
Why Do Windows In Brick Walls Need To Be Replaced?
The lifespan of a window built into a brick wall is determined more by what the window frame is made of as opposed to the effects of the surrounding bricks. This is because bricks are very durable and can last a lifetime. According to This Old House, a brick wall has an average life expectancy of more than 100 years.
What is the expected life span of a window surrounded by bricks?
On the other hand, aluminum windows are expected to last anywhere from 15 to 20 years. Windows made from wood however, can last up to 30 years before they need replacing.
The following signs may be indicating that is it time to replace your windows:
- You feel a draft coming in around the window
- The frame or window sill is warped or breaking
- Your window is fogging up
- Your window is hard to open or close or it won’t stay open
The Canadian winters can be especially hard on windows due to the extreme cold outside and warmer temperatures inside which can cause a moisture build up around your windows.
Replacing an Aluminum Window in a Brick Wall
- Step 1: Remove the glazing bead that holds the glass in place. you do this by using a small torch to heat up the glue that holds the bead and then pulling it away.
- Step 2: Carefully remove the glass.
- Step 3: Take apart and remove any of the aluminum frame that remains. The remaining structure may need to be forcibly removed by breaking it apart.
- Step 4: Pry the remaining aluminum frame away from the 2 by 4 structure that is behind the brick.
- Step 5: Clean out the space made by the extracted window and frame.
- Step 6: Insert new window which has been custom made to fit the existing hole within 1/8th of an inch.
- Step 7: Make sure that the window is hung and is square and that it operates correctly.
- Step 8: Screw the window in at the sides to secure it.
- Step 9: Apply caulk in a line to seal the window correctly. If the window fits correctly then you will only need a small bead of caulk to seal it.
The following video by Brennan will show you the entire process outlined above.
Adding Insulation When Replacing Windows in Older Homes.
If you are replacing a window in an older home, you may find that there are cavities in the surrounding walls that need to be filled with insulation to make them more energy efficient. It is also a good idea to apply expanding foam insulation along the window sill and the expander that sits on top of the window for further insulation. This next video shows you how to do it.
Doing It Yourself VS Hiring A Professional
Cost: Doing it yourself is usually less expensive than hiring a professional, however, if you make a mistake you may end up having to hire a professional to fix it. In the long run, this may end up costing you more money.
Measuring: It is critical that your measurements for the new window are accurate. Replacement windows need to fit the existing hole perfectly. When you are building a home, the hole is made to fit around the windows. When you are replacing a window, you need to make sure your window fits that existing hole. A big challenge for a do-it-yourselfer would be in getting the measurements accurate, whereas professionals will be experienced in doing precise measurements.
Minimal Damage: A professional should be able to remove the framing around the old window without any damage to the drywall inside or the brickwork outside. This part would definitely be a challenge for a do-it-yourselfer especially if this is their first time taking out a window frame.
Royal Masonry – Trusted Professionals
The team at Royal Masonry has built a solid reputation for superior customer service and the highest quality stone masonry craftsmanship in Southern Ontario. Our mission is to provide you with the best quality workmanship at the right price. You can be certain that we will get the job done right the first time. Our professional approach and superior customer service means that you can relax in the knowledge that your project is in safe hands. That’s why you can trust Royal Masonry with any masonry service you require. Contact us today, to find out for yourself why our customers highly recommend us to their friends and family.